David, +1 for this project. We've been doing something similar in WSO2
(called Ozone) and are happy to jump to this. Have you looked at OpenNebula
(http://opennebula.org/) - we were heading towards using that (and adding
some Web service APIs etc.). Looks like they decided to form a business a
few days ago: http://opennebula.ulitzer.com/node/1382814.

If OpenNebula an Deltacloud have similar missions maybe we can find a way to
get them here too - it'll be great for the world to have one superb IaaS
cloud abstraction API, under Apache license of course.

I plan to join the list and lurk .. looks like you have enough mentors
already.

Sanjiva.