Sorry if I'm late to the party, but my 2 cents...

The more I read about this, the more I latch onto Justin's "Observers" notion.
As a non-Apache Member, non-IPMC, PPMC member for OODT, I feel like I am
qualified to vote on a release in the sense that I am closer to the code than
Justin (sorry to pick on you, but I think I'm just parroting what you have been
saying), but I also would love to have more experienced hands looking at other
aspects (most notably in my mind are the various legal aspects).

In the end, I think that it takes both of these types of input to get what I'd
call an "informed" vote. But all of this discussion in my mind hinges on the
fundamental problems... good mentors and the notion of etiquette, both of which
have previously been mentioned on all of these intwined threads.

Realistically, as long as an individual podling is open to the entire
incubation community, you will find some rules hawk that really believes by
invoking article 237 of document XYZ they are helping to instruct in the Apache
way. It's in cases where this happens that I would ask a mentor (someone I know
who has even a slight investment in my podling's success), to sort the wheat
from the chaff. Also MHO, but it strikes me that being part of the community,
rather than in some sort of over-lord position, is more in line with the flat
structure that is an important part of the Apache way.

> If we ran it with the intention that the PMC is there to solely
> provide non-technical oversight and that the PPMC does the actual
> work, I think that's something I could live with and address my
> concerns in the overall process.

+1. Being the kind of person who likes to trust people, I'm fine with a
informal agreement. If you feel like you can contribute technically, then I
would love to hear what you had to say and if you just want to comment on
process, I think that's A-OK too. IMO, as long as you have taken some step to
be part of the specific podling, then you get to say anything you want (you are
part of the community).

Like Chris, I would be up for trying something with OODT. Any proposal that we
can work, even if just by general agreement, where we can logically divide
technical oversight from non-technical and also protect us from random
drive-bys gets my vote.

-Dave