On 8 Sep 2010, at 15:13, Carl Trieloff wrote:

> What is the view of having a project in Apache that pulls substantial
> components
> that are licensed under ASL as dependencies into the code base. I.e. not
> coping the
> code, but using components that have been built and maintained elsewhere
> under ASL
> but used as dependencies for running.
>
> I assume this is not an issue, based in the info posted on use of licenses --
> however I'm
> interested in understand if others have had positive or negative experiences
> with such
> a case.

Hi Carl,

Wookie has been using Ivy[1] to pull in external dependencies as part of the
build process. It took a bit of initial effort to get right, but now works
really nicely, and makes it much easier to track external libraries and check
their licenses are compatible.  You can also distinguish between dependencies
that are needed for development, for building, and for distribution and
downstream reuse. There is an Eclipse plugin for Ivy that works pretty well too.

The only vaguely negative thing I found was the initial challenge of getting
the hang of how Ivy works, but we had good help from other community members
and from our mentors on that.

[1] http://ant.apache.org/ivy/

- Scott