On 08/11/10 17:30, Ian Dickinson wrote:
Hi Donald,

On 08/11/10 17:01, Donald Whytock wrote:
Perhaps db.apache.org would be a better example?  Should there be a
semantic.apache.org?
I looked around in db.apache.org and I couldn't see anything that said
what the goals of that project are, separate from the goals of the
individual sub-projects. Where should I be looking?

As others have noted, the three semantic web-related projects currently
being proposed have rather different objectives and provide different
capabilities. I personally don't object in principle to factoring out
common code or needs where that's useful, but +1 to Olivier: let's wait
until a clear requirement is identified.

I agree. I don't think that a "semantic" XYZ is useful if that makes "semantic" some sort of different software. Semantic web technology is getting used more widely and a semantic commons or formal grouping of projects risks creating the idea that it's all or nothing, which isn't the case, hopefully.

        Andy