On 1/31/2011 11:22 AM, Aida Rivas wrote:
> Hello
> Our Open64.net steering committee is exploring the idea of submission as an
> Apache Incubator Project, and one of the concerns is the Apache 2.0 license
> status regarding whether or not it's compatible with GPL
> since Open64 is currently using GPL v2.
> http://www.open64.net/osg.html
> http://www.open64.net/about-open64.html
>
> Consequently, would appreciate your initial feedback on whether it makes
> sense
> for Open64 to submit  request to be considered an Apache Incubator Project
> given
> existing license or await if and when it moves to GPL v3?

It's only going to be considered if the group wishes to move to a permissive
license, e.g. the Apache License, and that will only happen with everyone's
(each of the previous authors') consent.  So GPL v3 or v2 is irrelevant,
although it seems like a worthwhile discussion amongst yourselves, if moving
to GPLv3 is a possibility that would also take all of the authors' consent.
The only alternative is to remove and replace all of the bits authored by
non-consenting authors or those who cannot be located, unless they had
assigned copyright and the right to relicense to the steering committee.