Hi Guys,

>> I don't know, none of those things really sound like justification for
>> a separate TLP, keeping something like this nearby to Hadoop MapReduce
>> seems like it would help give it a better chance of long term survival
>>  to me. Wouldn't simply moving mrunit out from
>> hadoop/mapreduce/trunk/src to somewhere else so it can do its own
>> releases and deploy its artifacts achieve all those objectives?...

Personally I don't believe that the project has any chance for survival at
Apache unless this Incubator project happens.

The Hadoop community has been VOTE'ing over the past month to abandon
development of portions of their code base (namely contrib portions that no
developers or users are maintaining or leveraging). MRUnit came up as one of
those contribs, and what was discovered was that some of the issues with the
Hadoop community (electing new committers, having too many products tied to a
single release cycle, too many infrequent releases) had stagnated the
development of MRUnit so much that a small sect of Hadoop developers had forked
MRUnit into Github and were developing it there. So there *was* active
development going on, it just wasn't at Apache.

A few of us members (myself, Patrick and Nige) were willing to step up and
volunteer that in contrast to seeing an ASF product and its community head over
to Github and continue development there, we'd like the product to stick around
at the ASF.

There is no hard and fast rule as to the size of a community for TLP-status,
and that's far down the road anyways aka why are we worrying about that now
during a [PROPOSAL] phase when it's an *exit criteria* for the Incubator? The
point of Incubation is to help grow that community and sort that stuff out and
I have no doubt in my mind that these folks here on the proposal who are
willing and trying to develop something successful at Apache can't meet that
challenge.

Cheers,
Chris

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.