On Fri, Jun 3, 2011 at 16:29, Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com> wrote:
> text in the wiki doesn't give that assurance. I'm also suggesting it's
> /such/ a big deal for the open source community at large that
> openoffice.org resolve to a working and current site without
> interruption ...

I don't think there is any immediate plan to take down openoffice.org
or any of its subareas on Day One. It should continue to function
normally.

I honestly don't know what Oracle has said about this. Maybe somebody
knows? Sam?

Over time, we'll need to move that "in-house". Whether binary
downloads do or not... up to the project. Historically, being a
volunteer-based org with little access to a complete range of build
targets, we've not distributed binaries[1]. Some volunteers build
stuff and post that into our mirror network, but it is typically a
convenience thing rather than "official policy". But with that said,
it would be entirely reasonable for an Apache $name project to make it
policy and acquire the necessary build farms to produce the releases.

Cheers,
-g

[1] of course, Java projects build and post .jar files (or whatever);
I'm talking about C/C++ apps like OO.o