Hi Rob, all,

robert_w...@us.ibm.com wrote (02-06-11 21:34)

If you claim to have 200 developers working on LO
then I suspect this is with a very low level of engagement.

I know several people that started with really tiny contributions for LibreOffice in the past months but just evolved to people contributing features, more and more clean ups, committing to the repository themselves and help with checking other patches. Also, people with specific knowledge of any of the many areas in the huge code base, can mean a lot by just using their skills for maybe few lines of code.

I hardly new about this process when I was active in the old OpenOffice.org project. Now in the LibreOffice project I've seen that it is reality, and what the importance of that approach is.

And most of those names are making very
sporadic, but I'm sure very valuable, contributions.

Indeed.

Notably the top 20
contributors were making 90% of the commits and of those the majority are
Novell employees.

Which is not relevant - but of course that percentage is getting lower regularly with others joining LibreOffice.

The "halo" of additional developers is important as well.  But their
effectiveness is entirely dependent on the ability of the core committers
to review and integrate their work.  So we need to grow the project from
the inside out.  That's my opinion, in any case.  But LO is really no
different.

It is different, as I wrote above.

And I too think it is relevant. Although I read for example this:

Ross Gardler wrote (03-06-11 15:25)
The incubator does not expect a viable community on the way *in*, it
only expects a viable community on the way *out*.

We will take a vote on whether to accept this proposal into the
incubator. That vote, for the majority of people, will not be about
vague unanswerable questions such as "will it graduate" it will be about
"is there any *definite* reason to refuse entry to the incubator".

The difference is relevant at least for managing expectations. When there are many contributors for LibreOffice that you may not expect to join an OpenOffice.org project in Apache. I would love to see all work in one big project - read all my pleas in the OpenOffice.org time. But reality tells me that is not going to happen.

Regards,
Cor

--
Prima office software - niet duur, wél vrij ?!
        http://www.nieuwsteoffice.nl/

--
 - http://nl.libreoffice.org