sa3r...@gmail.com wrote on 06/04/2011 10:19:27 AM:

> On Sat, Jun 4, 2011 at 9:42 AM,  <robert_w...@us.ibm.com> wrote:
> > I've heard some valid concerns about hardware resources needed to
build
> > OpenOffice.  Since I just happen to know a company that is in the
hardware
> > business, I might be able to get them to help out in this department.
 But
> > I wanted to first check on what the possibilities are on the Apache
side.
> > In particular, does Apache have some way to accept hardware donations
and
> > have them co-located in your data center, with Apache taking care of
> > physical infrastructure, back ups, bandwidth, etc.  Is that possible
at
> > all?  Or should I be looking at some way these build machines could be
> > hosted externally?  How is this ordinarily done at Apache?
>
> It is a complicated subject, and I will just outline some of the
> parameters.  But first I will say that I personally arranged (OK, with
> considerable backing and support from my management) to loan the ASF
> four new machines a number of years back on extended loan and these
> machines were only recently returned after they exceeded their life
> expectancy.  These machines were used for core and critical functions
> for the ASF.
>
> Outright donations have also been accepted from other companies.
>
> That being said, the conversation can not start from a perspective of
> "this is what I have to offer, can you make use of it?"  Instead it
> needs to start from a perspective of what the ASF needs and how best
> to accommodate those needs.  A specific point that is important to
> realize is that our system administrative staff understandably wishes
> to constrain the number of different types of operating systems that
> they use.

OK.  This is encouraging.  We can map out the details in the project, see
if we have a hardware gap, and explore solutions at this point.  I just
wanted to point out, for the benefit of the IPMC, that although a concern
was earlier raised about build machine resources, we have identified now
two possible ways of addressing it.

-Rob