On Sun, Jun 5, 2011 at 10:30 PM, Richard S. Hall <he...@ungoverned.org> wrote:
> On 6/5/11 16:50, Jochen Wiedmann wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Jun 5, 2011 at 8:21 PM, Niall Pemberton
>> <niall.pember...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>>
>>> IMO the only negative thing then about LibreOffice is the copyleft
>>> license - everything else about them is great. When deciding whether
>>> to accept OO we should consider whether that and facilitating BigCos
>>> interests is worth splitting the FOSS community.
>>>
>>> I am considering voting -1 to this proposal for those reasons.
>>
>> Thanks for expressing my feelings so well, Niall!
>
> I'll lend a voice to the contrary.
>
> I can't see why splitting a community should be a factor in entry to the
> incubator. Just about every new open source community is trying to pull away
> developers from another community doing similar stuff. That's the nature of
> the beast.

True, but when its essentially the same software, rather than
different software solving the same problem? If I proposed a new
project that was a fork of the HTTP project, how would that go down?

> For me, getting the OOo code fully available under AL is reason enough to +1
> it as far as I'm concerned...if I were on the IPMC... :-)

License is important, but thats not all the ASF is about. Community is
important too. I respect you're right to vote however you wish but if
all its down to is license then I'm not sure.

Niall