I guess if I get it correct the point in here is that most of us are
legal layman and thus it's not necessarily efficient if we try to sort
out legal concerns on our own. Instead this is supposed to be IP and
patent attorney business from my PoV. If assistance in this regards is
required it might be reasonable to involve
http://www.apache.org/legal/.

If IBM has legal concerns in this regards they may involve their own
IP and patent attorney stuff IBM-internally.

Cheers
Daniel