On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 1:12 PM, <robert_w...@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> I think it would be good if the proposed committers who have not yet done
> so, could post a quick note to the list, to introduce yourself and your
> interest in this project.   Think of this as an opportunity to introduce
> yourself to your future collaborators on Apache OpenOffice.

Hello, my name is Phillip and I'm addicted to F/L/OSS.  It started back
in the 90's when I was teaching myself to program from Herbert Schildt's
"Teach Yourself C" and using a C compiler I downloaded off the Internet.

Then my addiction worsened, and I started using this thing called "Mozilla"
and reading documents from Eric Raymond, Richard Stallman and others.
Finally, after giving up on OS/2 (about 5 years after IBM did) I switched
GNU/Linux as my desktop OS and commited to doing everything my power to
use only Free and/or Open Source software from then on.  OpenOffice.org
became my standard office productivity suite and has been for years now.

All joking aside, I am not a GNU ideologue specifically, but I *am* a
F/L/OSS ideologue in a more general sense.  My interest in OOo
specifically is rooted in two points: One, it's a project I use myself and I
want
to see it succeed and remain viable.   Two, I'm interested in (and working
on
a startup focused on) enterprise knowledge management / information
retrieval / business
intelligence / analytics using F/L/OSS software.  As such, I'm really
intrigued by
the potential synergy (yeah, yeah, I know) that could emerge from having
Apache OOo as part of an overall ecosystem that seems to be forming around
the ASF, where a LOT of cool activity related to IR/KM/ etc is happening.

Already present at the ASF are Lucene, Nutch, Solr, Mahout, Hadoop, Roller,
Jena,
OpenNLP, UIMA, Stanbol, and Wave... in my vision of the world, an office
suite like
OOo is a natural part of that overall ecosystem.

Whether or Fogbeam Labs would ever roll a branded build of the Apache OOo
code, or not, is
something I don't know yet.  But I generally see supporting this project as
a "Good Thing"
on multiple levels, so here I am.

Cheers,

Phillip Rhodes