Hello, Niall,

On Tue, Jun 07, 2011 at 10:11:02AM +0100, Niall Pemberton wrote:
> If you're right about the costs, they not going to hit from day one -
> as the initial effort will be in building the community and building
> something that can be released and very little needed in terms of end
> users - and the ASF has more than enough resources to cope with that.
> The ASF has IMO a great track record in fund raising and is not
> without resources (see the latest treasurers report[1]) and if this
> project succeeds here I wouldn't be surprised to see its success bring
> in an increase in ASF funding. If the project failed, then I also
> doubt that we would have incurred that much expenditure.

Having read your reply, the other replies on this thread, the subsequent
threads exploring impact on infrastructure and other ASF resources, and seeing
the large ASF contingent signed up as both committers and Mentors, I'm
persuaded that the resources are available, the problems are solvable, and
that the podling can work out the details.

> Needing a large community, being able to cope with an IBM pullout &
> releasing lots of binaries are all things this project would need to
> demonstrate they can deal with before graduating. If they can't then
> they wouldn't become an official ASF project.

It's also been great to see so many people with deep knowledge of the project
from diverse organizations introducing themselves -- including multiple
employees of Oracle.

Between all those developments and the clarifications from Andrew Rist
regarding the software grant, I can't imagine opposing this proposal any
longer.  Looking forward to the vote thread...

Marvin Humphrey