Help me understand why the project would most benefit from that situation,
Don.

Mentors' main role is to help podling members learn the Apache Way so they
can graduate to TLP.  This project enjoys a wealth of excellent mentors and
we happen to mostly be people who have worked successfully together at
Apache.  With so many mentors, my thought was that it would be quite helpful
to have one that knows some history.

Additionally, I am not currently and have no immediate plans to be in the
employ of any entity with a commercial interest in the outcome of this
project.  I believe you may be confused on this point.

I completely get it that this is a new chapter, and I am quite interested in
helping the podling succeed as an upstream source of OOo code to the entire
extended ecosystem.  To that end, I would expect to help poding members
remember to be inclusive and transparent in their motives and actions.

Danese