Hi Rob and all,

Please help a non-English speaker, it's me :) , in the midst of
jargon; ODF, Apache, OASIS, ISO/IEC JTC1, OpenOffice, LibreOffice,
Symphony, KOffice/Calligra, Microsoft Office, Corel Wordperfect,
Google Docs, ODFDOM, DOM API, Conformance Tools, XSLTRunner, AODL,
C#/.NET, Java, PDFBox, Batik, FOP, POI, Mercurial, SVN, Kenai, TLP,
SGA.

I know ODF, OASIS and ISO/IEC because I am from OpenOffice.org and we
fought for it :)
http://iso26300.info/ja-jp/

Now I am getting familiar with Apache, incubating, incubator,
incubation, podling and podlet :)

I thought JIRA is an acronym.
No, it's not.  I found
http://confluence.atlassian.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=192544#JIRAFAQ-WhatdoesJIRAmean%3F
yesterday.
JIRA comes from Japanese words "GoJIRA(Godzilla)" and "KuJIRA(Whale)."
:)

Let us start with POI (because you are CCing to d...@poi.apache.org)
Can you tell me what is POI?
What does POI stand for?