On 7/5/2011 7:45 AM, Benson Margulies wrote:
> I wasn't clear on the timing. They launched in Nov 2010 and have made
> one release. It will be 18 months in June of 2012. the question I was
> trying to explore was, 'how essential is it to have shown that they
> can attract and integrate new people before hatching?' Your answer
> seems to be 'not critical if everything else is OK'.

In that case... late this year aught to be a good time to graduate them,
it sounds like they will have created their second release.

You dwelled on the question "if no new committers were added"... and the
very simple solution to this issue is to offer to come along to their
new PMC to simply help guide them with community, patch solicitation,
contributor recognition, etc.  It's often good if one or more mentors,
even non-developers, come along to help with such things for a while.

But it sounds like the question is "only 7 committers, not independent"?
Having at least three independent contributors is absolutely necessary,
or it isn't suitable for graduation.  Where a majority of committers
are all connected by employment, etc, it is critical to ensure that
the committers acknowledge and demonstrate by their actions that from
the ASF perspective, that common connection is not decisive on matters
at the project, and they must act independently must not block any new
individuals from participating/joining the PMC or otherwise trying to
lock up the project in the long term for one organization's benefit.