On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 03:09:08PM +0200, Christian Grobmeier wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 2:56 PM, Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
> wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 08:39:40AM +0100, ant elder wrote:
> >> I don't want to get in the way of those who are doing all this good work
> >> with the website but my 2c's is I also would prefer visited links to have a
> >> different colour.
> >
> > +1
> >
> >    http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=986066
>
> Unfortunately the pdf is not free and so we cannot look what exactly
> has an impact.

Sorry, here is a free link:

    http://ix.cs.uoregon.edu/~hornof/downloads/CHI04_Link.pdf

    Link Colors Guide a Search

    Tim Halverson and Anthony J. Hornof
    University of Oregon, Eugene, OR

It's only four pages long, it's easy to understand and pretty interesting!

> Because, if some links are marked visited, and some - even when read - are
> not, how does this play into game?

That happens with exactly the same link, i.e. not anchors?  If so, that sounds
like something which ought to be addressed independently.

> And for which kind of websites does this research apply on?

The research was done on groups of red and blue words in isolation: think the
navigation menu extracted out of the web page.

As such, it has broad application to just about all websites and also to
similar visual navigation systems.

> Have you read it?

Sure, I've read it.  I used to be a graphic designer, but I was the kind who
liked to back up my prejudices with usability studies.  Not that the citations
always persuaded people who held opposite prejudices.  ;)

Personally, I find it irritating when I click on the back button and I'm
swimming in a large web page and can't reorient myself easily to where I left
off because visited link color is not differentiated.

However, you're putting in all the time here, and to echo Ant Elder once
again, I don't want to get in your way.  So: -0 on not differentiating visited
links.

Keep up the good work,

Marvin Humphrey