On 14 November 2011 19:52, Neha Narkhede <neha.narkh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Kafka community is excited to share that RC for release of
> Kafka-0.7.0-incubating has been +1'd over at kafka-user@incubator.
> Please try it out and vote for the Apache Kafka 0.7.0-incubating release.
> This is the first release of Kafka since we've joined the Apache incubator.
>
> Vote thread
> http://markmail.org/message/pqsla5furf7nzpe2?q=kafka+candidate+6
>
> Release artifacts
> http://people.apache.org/~nehanarkhede/kafka-0.7.0-incubating-candidate-6/

-1
There's no source archive.
ASF primarily releases source; binary archives are optional (but
almost always provided).
Source archives are required.

-0
The binary archive is huge; this is mainly because it contains
multiple copies of many jars.
It would be better for users if there was a single copy of each jar,
and an installation script to copy them after unpacking.

> SVN revision
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/kafka/branches/0.7@1199132

The normal practice is to use an SVN tag for the release vote, for example:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/kafka/tags/0.7.0-incubating-RC1

If the vote succeeds, rename/copy it to
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/kafka/tags/0.7.0-incubating

If the vote fails, create a new tag:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/kafka/tags/0.7.0-incubating-RC2

-1:
There is no DISCLAIMER

The NOTICE file does not follow standards.
The first 5 lines should look like the lines in === below:

===
Apache Kafka
Copyright ?-2011 The Apache Software Foundation.

===

The rest of the NOTICE file should be for *required* notices only; it
is not required to list other Apache projects.

The NOTICE file also contains a license, that should be in LICENSE.
No mention of sbt, which is in SVN - as that is also included in the
binary release, should that be mentioned in the NOTICE file?