On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 7:39 AM, sebb <seb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 16 November 2011 14:32, Thilo Goetz <twgo...@gmx.de> wrote:

> Not sure possible word order is relevant/conclusive.
>
>> This might explain why people in a project like OpenNLP are
>> confused by that sentence on the trademarks page.
>
> The point is that the mark must be *used as* an adjective.
> I think this was previously called an adjectival noun, it now seems to
> be called "noun adjunct":
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noun_adjunct
> What do you suggest the trademarks page should say in order to make it
> clearer?

I'm glad that Thilo brought this up because talking about an adjective
is clearly incorrect and confusing. Indeed, the Wikipedia source you
linked to clearly specifies it's a noun, not an adjective. As to what
the trademarks page should say, first of all the "used as an
adjective" needs to be removed and replaced with the correct term,
noun adjust or attributive noun; the latter may be intuitively more
clear.

Instead of:
"Project and product names should always be referred to in a
consistent casing and used as an adjective, and never as a noun or
verb, like any trademark should be used."

How about:
"Project and product names should always be referred to in a
consistent casing and can not be used alone to specify the project or
the product, but only as attributive nouns to the specific term (e.g.
project, product, library, etc.) to indicate trademarks associated
with it.

Kalle