On Nov 21, 2011, at 9:59 AM, Ross Gardler wrote:
> On 21 November 2011 08:42, Robert Burrell Donkin
> <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 7:45 PM, Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Some time back we moved to having 3 mentors, which had the positive of more
>>> hands and enough binding votes, but the downside of no single person "on
>>> the hook" for a podling's reporting and progress towards graduation.
>>>
>>> Should we appoint one of the mentors at the start to be the "chair" of the
>>> PPMC, in the same way as a full project? I would see them as responsible
>>> for ensuring the podling is reporting, and that all of the mentors are
>>> engaged and signing off the reports.
>>>
>>> As the podling matures, this role could be transitioned to the person who
>>> will be nominated as the chair of the project after it graduates, if they
>>> are ready for that.
>>>
>>> What do others think?
>>
>> I think appointing a chair in the early stages is likely to work
>> against building a community of peers.
>
> I agree, especially if that "chair" is also a mentor. Mentors are not
> supposed to *do* only to *guide*.

Agreed, there should be no need to appoint one of the three mentors to become
responsible. They should all be.

I'm fairly neutral on appointing one of the members of the project, with a
slight preference to not do that and see if a natural leader emerges. The
mentors could monitor this, and if nobody within the project "steps up" that
could be a (soft) criterium for not yet letting the project graduate.

> On the other hand, I do think the original point of none of the three
> mentors being responsible is a problem.

Shouldn't mentors, of all people, be able to figure this out amongst themselves
and lead by example here (without too many rules)?

>> I think that establishing a chair once community has self-organised
>> would be a good idea.
>
> Not before graduation. I have seen, in a number of podlings, that the
> obvious choice of a chair half way through graduation (for example) is
> often not the same choice at the end of graduation.

+1 for letting this evolve naturally and only choosing at graduation.

Greetings, Marcel