I don't know the proper answer to the licensing and patent questions.
My understanding (standard caveats apply) is that the BSD is a
Category A license, and as software distributed under it may be
included in ASF software such as Bloodhound.  I'm unsure what the
concern about BSD notices in source file is, nor do I know if such
concern is well-founded.

-Hyrum

uberSVN: Apache Subversion Made Easy
http://www.uberSVN.com/