Any time a body of code is contributed from another source, it should
go through the standard Apache procedures, including a license grant
(if it's not open-source already).  But this is very different from
spinning off chunks of an existing incubator project.

For example, ManifoldCF is currently attempting to spin off three
subprojects.  Each of the subprojects is more tightly related in some
way to other projects than it is to ManifoldCF itself, and in an ideal
world these other projects would incorporate the subproject code
themselves.  Unfortunately, in two of the cases (plugins for two
versions of Lucene/Solr) the project has refused to include the code,
and in another case (a SharePoint plugin) the main "project" is not
open-sourced in the first place.

I would hope that there would be enough flexibility in the incubator
model to permit this kind of thing.  Just my two cents, nonbinding...

Karl