On 31/01/2012 11:08, Mark Struberg wrote:
> Hi Simo!
>
> Sounds like a really nice project.

Hi Mark,
first of all, thanks.

> But I wonder if there is some overlap with the Apache Shiro project [1]?
> [1] http://shiro.apache.org/

" Apache Shiro is a powerful and easy-to-use Java security framework
that performs authentication, authorization, cryptography, and session
management." - this means that Shiro is an Access Manager.

Identity Manager's duties are about managing virtual user lifecycle,
possible spread across multiple heterogeneous systems. This would
involve: creating / updating / deleting /moving user credentials and
attributes via LDAP / Active Directory / RDMS and so on.

An Identity Manager - like Syncope - is usually working together with an
Access Manager in order to provide a complete IAM (=Identity and Access
Management) solution.

Syncope does not provide yet a connector for interoperating with Shiro,
but this looks like a nice feature to put somewhere in the roadmap.

Regards.

--
Francesco Chicchiriccò

Apache Cocoon Committer and PMC Member