On Wed, Feb 01, 2012 at 11:15:53PM +0000, Ross Gardler wrote:
> On 1 February 2012 22:13, Joe Schaefer <joe_schae...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Link:  http://s.apache.org/qsY
> >

> > It's worthwhile to review the entire surrounding thread in August 2010
> > for IPMC members to avoid rehashing old arguments.
>
> Thanks for the reminder Joe. I recall that thread now. I find it
> interesting reading my own comments, I was terrified of having to
> contradict myself. However, fortunately I still hold the same opinion.

Haha, I went back and reread that thread as well.  Everything old is new
again!

The difference between then and now is that the subjects of the "experiment",
Thrift and ESME, have graduated and apparently become happy top level
projects.

> Given all this and the balance of the discussion back in August 2010
> and recent discussions relating to this topic I am +1 for an expansion
> of the experiment.

+1 for measured expansion.

On the subject of mentoring individuals:

Lucy wasn't part of the experiment, but after I joined the IPMC, the situation
became similar, and I've been expected to operate under similar rules to Byran
Duxbury of Thrift and Richard Hirsch of ESME.  Lucy Mentors Chris Mattmann,
Joe Schaefer and Chris Hostetter have all put in a lot of time and thought
working with us on community health and outreach and transitioning away from
our former BDFL governance.  I haven't been the only beneficiary of these
lessons, but by moving to more of a support role I've probably had to stretch
the furthest, and thus I may have reaped the greatest rewards.  (Peter Karman
has stepped forward to handle more leadership tasks, but he was already an
accomplished manager so the role is familiar; other people are coding more but
they already had that down cold!)

Marvin Humphrey