I think the site source files and build.xml are now in good shape.

The Ant build file can recreate the full output directory tree in any
required directory:

ant [-Ddocs.dest=target-dir]

[default is site-publish]

The source tree can also be overridden by using a command of the form:

ant -Ddocs.src=content

[although it might be best to change the default eventually]

Is there anything else that needs to be done in order to fit in with
the requirements of CMS?

Do we need to rename site-author/ as content/ ?
Or can CMS be told where to fetch the sources?

I don't see the point of renaming site-author at present; if it has to
be done it should be done as part of the switchover.