On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 12:51 PM, Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org> wrote:
>>> Note that API is not just method signatures but includes all aspects
>>> of implementation such as class hierarchies, type compatibility,
>>> static and non-static state etc.
>>
>> I think that it's good to have binary compatibility with Cloudera's old
>> bindings.   I still don't see why it's a requirement for Apache to house
>> code whose sole use is to provide backward compatible bindings for
>> Cloudera's old bindings.
>
> The Sqoop community moved from github where it was ASL licensed to
> Apache. There is now a Sqoop community at Apache that continues
> using/developing this code and they felt that having backward
> compatibility was useful. There is no stated restriction from Apache
> against doing such. I don't know the cost of just dropping the
> com.cloudera migration aids, but I suspect it would have been easier
> to just drop it than spend the time worrying about it and trying to
> provide a solution. I'm primarily acting as a mentor, Arvind would be
> in better position to provide insight into that background and why the
> community felt it was important to carry this forward.

Thanks Patrick. You are absolutely right in stating that it would have
been easier for us to drop any backward compatibility requirements and
get releases out quickly. The reason we chose to invest a lot in
preserving backward compatibility is for our community. Sqoop has an
active community that we care deeply about and we have done our best
to make sure continues to use Sqoop effectively. It is this thriving
community that was the primary reason for Sqoop to have come into the
incubator in the first place.

One thing I want to clarify is that any insinuation that
com.cloudera.* packages exist in Sqoop is to somehow help Cloudera and
it's customers couldn't be farther from the truth. The fact is that
Cloudera will continue to provide support for Sqoop with backward
compatibility regardless of whether the com.cloudera.* namespace is
retained or removed from Sqoop. If we decided to remove these
packages, it is the community that will suffer, not Cloudera.

I do believe that if this is only an Incubator policy and not an
Apache policy, it will be tantamount to discrimination against the
Sqoop community more than anything else. To say that JSR specs are not
the same as old Cloudera code, gives me the impression that some
communities have more power on how Apache implements its policies for
larger communities than on smaller communities. If that is indeed the
case, it will help to state that explicitly.

Thanks,
Arvind Prabhakar