Jukka,

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 10:34 PM, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I will try to update this document now with the recommendation from infra:
>> http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#release-distribution
>
> While you're at it, can you please also (or rather instead) update the
> ASF-wide documentation at http://www.apache.org/dev/#releases?
>
> This isn't particularly tied to the Incubator, so the primary place
> for the relevant guidance shouldn't IMHO be incubator.apache.org. Most
> notably the IPMC shouldn't be responsible for updating this
> information in case the related infra policies change.

it is not really a policy, it was more a recommendation.
IMHO it is not necessary to look at the global website here. TLD
projects already have learned about the mirroring system or know how
to ask. It is very unlikely that an existing project suddenly extends
the binaries extraordinary.

It is more likely, that new projects which just started with the ASF
don't have a clue about the mirroring system and how it all works.
Once they have done their first releases, everything should go pretty
well - we mentors should just catch the exceptions and make sure we
educate them proper on the mirroring system.

That being said, if an incubator release is > 1 GB we should ask the
podling about that, no matter if there are problems with mirrors or
not (personal note).

BTW, I am not speaking for infra here, just want to help avoid nasty
situations were some poor infra guys are waked by a Nagios alarm.

can you agree?

Cheers
Christian

http://www.grobmeier.de