Hi,

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 5:19 PM, Leo Simons <m...@leosimons.com> wrote:
> Shipping a set of CDDL jars out of some java.net projects that oracle
> has all but abandoned is far beyond my imagined threshold of
> reasonable on the scale. Do you actually see that differently?

Agreed. These are exactly the kinds of questions that legal-discuss@
has been working on. I.e. which kinds of dependencies are acceptable,
and how they should be referenced/included/documented/etc.?

It seems like Roy is much more categorical about this. Assuming I
understand his point correctly, *no* binary dependencies are
acceptable within a source tarball.

What I don't quite (yet) understand is how a reference like
"junit:junit:4.10" to a download service maintained by a third party
is more acceptable than directly including the referenced bits. The
only difference I see is whether we have the right to redistribute
those bits ourselves, but that question is already covered by legal.

Another thing I don't understand is how a configure script compiled by
autoconf from sources in configure.in and the autoconf distribution is
any less a binary artifact than a dependency jar. Reviewing a ~1MB
configure script is about as easy as reviewing the decompiled contents
of a binary jar.

That's a lot I don't understand. If this is as clear an issue as is
being claimed, I'm sure someone will jump in to educate me.

> What is the alternative you're thinking of? Is it merely about the
> process by which we clean things up, or is there some other kind of
> more fundamental alternative?

The obvious alternative would be to bless the de facto practice from
the past 10+ years as being acceptable also de jure.

BR,

Jukka Zitting