I happened to notice that a site publish I'd done a week ago did not
actually update our podling site.  Publishing is done in accordance
with [1].  The problem seems to be that someone has wiped out
/www/incubator.apache.org/ except for the content directory, which is
meant solely for the incubator site itself, and changed permissions so
that even people with "incubator" permissions cannot create
directories anymore:

kwright@minotaur:~/bin$ ls /www/incubator.apache.org
content
kwright@minotaur:~/bin$ ls -lt /www/incubator.apache.org
total 6
drwxr-xr-x  101 svnwc  svnwc  116 Apr  7 22:25 content
kwright@minotaur:~/bin$

If incubator site publishing has changed, please refer me to the new
document that describes how it is done.

Thank you,
Karl

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/guides/sites.html