On 8 May 2012 13:06, Emmanuel Lécharny <elecha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Comments inline
>
> Le 5/8/12 11:05 AM, sebb a écrit :
>>
>> On 8 May 2012 09:13, Francesco Chicchiriccò<ilgro...@apache.org>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Sebb,
>>> you can find my replies embedded below.
>>>
>>> I am going to send a [CANCEL] reply to this thread, remove Nexus staging
>>> repo and SVN tag, fix everything and start again the release process for
>>> 1.0.0-RC1-incubating from scratch.
>>>
>>> Regards.

>>> The LICENSE and NOTICE files were written against the parent POM: all the
>>> dependencies with scope != test were considered, then.
>>
>> The N&L files must relate to what is actually included in the archive.
>

> We release sources, so making a distinction between scope != test
> dependencies and scope=test dependencies does not make sense, AFAICT. If we
> use a 3rd party product to test Syncope, then I think we must refer their
> licenses in NOTICE and LICENSE.

No, AIUI the N&L files only relate to what is being released, not any
external dependencies.

>>> All the AL 2.0 dependencies not from ASF were added anyway to the LICENSE
>>> and NOTICE files; we preferred to have these two files with the same
>>> entries, even though for different purposes.
>>
>> The NOTICE file has a specific purpose; it should *only* contain
>> required notices.
>

> The best would be to check the 3rd product licenses to see if they require
> you to add the licenses.

Yes.

> But as we are not lawyers, and sometime Licenses
> are written in a way that only a couple of judges plus the suprem court can
> understand what is in it, I'd suggest that if you have a doubt, just include
> them.

The NOTICE file should only include *required* notices.

If in doubt, ask on legal-discuss or via the legal JIRA.

> In any case, as soon as the required notes are in the NOTICE file, it should
> not be a blocker.

It's important not to include extra stuff in the NOTICE file, because
that can place additional burdens on downstream consumers.