On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 4:27 PM, Chris Douglas <cdoug...@apache.org> wrote:
> Your musings on binaries are, as Martin pointed out, not legal arguments but
> preferences for clean downstream consumption.

I think there's been a miscommunication.  Kevan and I may place different
weight on documenting licensing for non-bundled dependencies, but that's not
the only issue -- there are binary files in Kafka's canonical source release
candidate, and I agree with Kevan that this is a problem.

    marvin@smokey:~/Desktop/kafka $ find . -print | grep "\.jar"
    ./contrib/hadoop-consumer/lib/pig-0.8.0-core.jar
    ./contrib/hadoop-consumer/lib/piggybank.jar
    ./contrib/hadoop-producer/lib/pig-0.8.0-core.jar
    ./contrib/hadoop-producer/lib/piggybank.jar
    ./lib/sbt-launch.jar

It would be unfortunate to draw a line in the sand over Kafka, when they are
hardly the only project where this has been an issue and when the NOTICE
debate over Kafka 0.7.0 was draining.

At some point, though, IPMC members either need to start voting -1 on any
incubating RC that has a jar file in it, or someone needs to formally answer
Roy's argument and explain how binary files can be considered "open source"
when they aren't source code.

Marvin Humphrey