On Jun 26, 2012, at 7:43 AM, seba.wag...@gmail.com wrote:

> @Sebb: Which of the Libraries do you think are duplicates?
>
> About License VS Notice file. From what I understood from
> http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#best-practice-license
>

> "The NOTICE document is for additional copyright and attribution statements
> those licenses may require."
> => As all libraries that are shipped are compliant to the Apache License I
> would have expected that it is sufficient to only add a section to the
> Notice file where the License requires additionall attribution.
> All 3th party licenses are in the License file.
> I don't see any requirements for duplicating the same in the Notice file.

If all of the 3rd party libraries were released by the ASF and their NOTICE
files were only attributions to the ASF, you would be correct. However, if a
3rd party file was something like:

"Apache Foo
Copyright 2012 The Apache Software Foundation

This product includes software developed by

Portions of the Bar Component were orginally developed by the Baz Corporation."

You need to give the same attribution to the Baz Corporation.

If a 3rd party library was released under AL v2 but by an entity other than the
ASF, you need to include the entire NOTICE.

One final note, if the NOTICE file contains attributions which do not apply to
your redistribution (e.g. you don't include the Bar component), you can/should
leave that out of your NOTICE.

If there's no NOTICE, you don't need to do anything.

--kevan