Hi,

recently I have spent some time getting Crunch ready for release. I've
never created an Apache release before and I was surprised how much
work it was. I'm not afraid of process and scattered documentation (I
work for a big company ;-)) but I think this is more difficult than
it has to be.

Many new Incubator projects use Java and Maven, so I think they would
benefit from a Maven archetype that sets things up for them. Most
projects enter the Incubator with a pre-existent code base but I found
it much easier to start from scratch and re-integrate than to
endlessly tweak an existing POM. I have created such an archetype in
case you're interested; here's how it works:

  mvn archetype:generate
-DarchetypeCatalog=http://dev.mafr.de/repos/maven2/archetype-catalog.xml

At the prompt, pick the Incubator archetype and enter project
coordinates:

  Define value for property 'groupId': : org.apache.foobar
  Define value for property 'artifactId': : foobar
  Define value for property 'version':  1.0-SNAPSHOT: :
  Define value for property 'package':  org.apache.foobar: :
  Define value for property 'name': : Apache Foobar

If the project differs from what I think are current best practices
you'll have to tweak the POM a bit. Most things should be fine though.

Creating a release works via the "apache-release" build profile:

  mvn install -Papache-release

If you think this is useful I'm willing to donate the archetype.

Regards,
  Matthias