Hi Benson,

> A different angle.
>
> Noah asks me to sign his key.
>
> Noah tells me that he's committed it to KEYS for CloudStack in svn
> revision 314159.
>
> I examine that revision and see that it was made by, indeed, noah's
> Apache ID, which is associated with a particular email address.
>
> I send email to secretary@, asking "Can you confirm that
> nsla...@apache.org corresponds to a CLA signed by a person named Noah
> Slater?"
>
> The secretary says yes.
>
> I then feel that it's perfectly reasonable to sign a key that has two
> things in it: the name Noah Slater and nsla...@apache.org,

In this scenario, you assume:
* that Noah's account is solely under his own control
* that your mail ping pong with secretary is secure
* that the ASF did verify Noah's identity correctly
* in general, that the whole infrastructure used in this process is secure
(trust root, no MITM, the usual stuff)

The PGP/GPG WoT is generally built upon assuring the identity of a real person
(normally this person's name is the name used in the key, but this is a point
often discussed), and upon doing this personally, i.e. not relying on the
assumption that others have done it correctly! It's *you* who is signing the
key, stating that *you* can certify that this key belongs to that person, and
that the person is the one he/she claims to be. After all, other users on the
WoT will rely on this information.
Signing pseudonym keys is a special thing, see [1] for example. It is important
to mention that using a pseudonym doesn't mean that identity verification can't
take place - these are two different things.

> because if
> this process doesn't verify an adequate association, then no one can
> trust the Apache IP process, either, and which has the same signature
> as the one in SVN.

I don't remember what exactly I had to do, but AFAIR not as much that the ASF
would be able to sign my real-name-key based on this information. Sad but true.

> What am I missing here that would be improved by an in-person
> examination of his, oh, passport? A risk of some baroque MITM attack
> on Apache's svn server?
>
> It seems to me that this highlights a global issue with the WoT: how
> can I know the standards and level of care of every link in a chain of
> trust from me to some other person?
>
> None of this, of course, changes my concern that the average Apache
> user isn't connected, but if the argument is persuasive it should
> unleash a positive avalanche of key signing.

Of course, the WoT concept results in some effort for every participant. It's a
decentralized concept, and this is one of its disadvantages.

However, what would now be totally wrong IMO is, that some guys in the ASF
redefine these rules in order to make the process of release signing more
simple. In the WoT big picture, this would automatically mean that every key
that is signed based on these weak rules would have to be marked as marginally
trusted (if at all) by people who want to really follow the PGP/GPG WoT concept.

I think there are the following basic questions:
a) Which basic concept should be used at all? Is it a decentralized Web of
Trust, or should a hierarchical Apache CA be established for code signing
purposes?
b) Should it be possible to contribute to ASF projects using a pseudonym,
including code signing?

Assuming WoT for a), since there is probably no suiting manpower available for
running a CA.

Assuming Yes for b) and proposing that there should be rules for pseudonym keys
making it possible to distinguish them from real name keys (for example
"Superman (PSEUDONYM CODE SIGNING KEY) <super...@apache.org").

Furthermore proposing the following rules:
* signing keys MUST be included in the KEYS file in the svn repository
* signing keys SHOULD be signed by other ASF members and/or other people in
order to integrate the key into a WoT. However, signing MUST take place
following commonly known rules when it comes to verifying identity (TODO: maybe
it's best to really specify these rules in detail, like many people out there
already do in the PGP/GPG sections of their personal web pages). It's up to the
key signer whether he wants to sign pseudonym keys (TODO: Which rules do apply
to verify identity in this case?).
* It's ok for unsigned keys to be used. In this case, a person verifying an
artifact's signature would be relying solely on the assumption that the Apache
infrastructure isn't compromised.

My 2 cents so far.

Regards
 Florian