On Sun, Nov 4, 2012 at 11:40 PM, Bernd Fondermann
<bernd.fonderm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 4, 2012 at 11:29 PM, Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> At the bottom of the template for each podling's report, I'd like to have a
>> space for each of the mentors, every month, to reaffirm his or her
>> involvement in the podling. Thus, instead of (at most) one mentor signing
>> off on the report, itself, we'd get a reading on how many mentors are in
>> the game. If the number were less than 3 -- and -- especially, if it were
>> less than one, we'd be alerted and could make it a priority to find
>> replacements.
>>
>> What do you think?
>
> +1. The foundation on all levels is great at recognizing engagement,
> but not that great at detecting the lack of.
> At other foundations like XSF for example members need to step up for
> re-election after three or so years.
> This assures that liveliness of the members body can actually be
> measured only by looking at the members list size.
> So your proposed showing of hands makes the reports more plausible. +1, again.

+1 as well.

In addition, we might also consider having inactive IPMC members go emeritus.
Other ASF projects have such provisions in their bylaws.

    http://ant.apache.org/bylaws.html#Project%20Management%20Committee

    Membership of the PMC is by invitation only and must be approved by a lazy
    consensus of active PMC members. A PMC member is considered "emeritus" by
    their own declaration or by not contributing in any form to the project
    for over six months. An emeritus member may request reinstatement to the
    PMC. Such reinstatement is subject to lazy consensus of the active PMC
    members. Membership of the PMC can be revoked by an unanimous vote of all
    the active PMC members other than the member in question.

Marvin Humphrey