Dear all,

first of all, thanks for the feedback so far...

Am 17.11.2012 um 20:08 schrieb Andy Seaborne:

> You're right changing the name can be done later but the name tends to get
> embedded both in the system (e.g. URLs, JIRA project) and more importantly in
> people knowing about the community.
>
> Renaming for the community is hard and risky - I would say it is easier to
> sort it out as part of project initialization if you believe the name change
> is likely.
>
> I did a quick search and found 2 "linda"s: Linda Spaces (the blackboard
> system that, I guess, is triggering the comments here) and TCP Linda, a
> parallel execution environment (which may well be related to the blackboard
> linda).
>
> TCP Linda ==>
> http://www.gaussian.com/g_prod/linda.htm
>
> Linda spaces leads to JavaSpaces so is a known name in the Java world at
> least.  There is a SourceForge project linda (but looks dormant)
>
>       Andy

I agree that "Linda" is a very generic name and as such there are already
several projects out there with this name. On the other hand, we chose "Linda"
as an acronym for "Linked Data" in order to increase recognizability especially
in the domain we are targeting. For our community, we think it would be quite
easy to identify "Apache Linda" with the Linked Data Platform and not with a
blackboard system or a methodology for parallel execution. A more artificial
name would probably have a harder time establishing a brand (but of course the
project is good enough to manage ;-) ).

In case the Incubator PMC still recommends to rename the project, I agree we
should do it BEFORE starting up the project. We will discuss options for
renaming on Monday (European Time) and come up with suggestions.

Greetings,

Sebastian