Yes you make a good point- that any effort
towards review is welcome and appreciated.
It's just that having an exclusive focus
on the things we can actually review here,
namely adherence to License and Notice policy,
can leave people with the mistaken impression
that that's all that a PMC should concern itself
with.  All of that daily effort that goes into
validating commits on a project really should
garner more appreciation from the PMC, if we
could just find a way to be more trusting about
who we let issue binding votes on behalf of
the org.

Really is it so bad to say to a project with
a bug in their license and notice info: fix
this in trunk and show me the revision and
I'll go ahead and approve your release as-is.

Running through iterations of this is very
labor-intensive for the project, and anything
we can do to cut down on the pain involved
in cutting incubator releases is IMO worthwhile.