One alternative to going for full-on majority voting is to recognize that a
larger group is much more likely to have "noisy vetoes" by requiring that
successful votes have n positive votes and m negative votes subject to some
condition on n and m.  Majority requires n > m, strict Apache consensus
requires n >= 3 and m == 0.  It is easy to imagine other conditions such as
n >= 4 and m <= 2 which still have some of the flavor of consensus in that
a minority can block a decision, but allow forward progress even with
constant naysayers or occasional random vetoes.