On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 7:21 AM, Matthias Friedrich <m...@mafr.de> wrote:
> On Monday, 2013-03-25, Alex Karasulu wrote:
>> On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 10:43 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz <
>> bdelacre...@apache.org> wrote:
> [...]
>>> IMO it's the podlings who need to make sure they have enough mentor
>>> energy available - they are best placed to judge that, and delegating
>>> that to them scales much better than burdening the incubator PMC.
>
>> In total agreement. No one knows better than the podling.
>
> I was never sure how much mentoring our podling was supposed to get.
> And I certainly wouldn't have reported an inactive mentor because
> I had no idea what kind of discussions that would have started.

And thats going to be the problem with most poddlings i would guess.
They don't really know what to expect, and, they would be put off by
worry of causing trouble.

I was on an Incubating poddling once which had a couple of not
terribly active mentors, i'm not sure that they read the dev list
regularly. However they were both experienced ASF oldtimers and if you
pinged them for help they jumped in and helped out which on several
occasions proved invaluable (it was a bit of a troubled poddling).

The problem with making some new rule, eg must sign reports, is that
some people will then just make sure they do that without changing the
activeness of their mentoring.

   ...ant