On 21 June 2013 00:59, Joe Brockmeier <j...@zonker.net> wrote:
> Hi Ali,
>
> Comments inline.
>
> On Sat, Jun 15, 2013, at 05:24 PM, Ali Lown wrote:
>
>> The result from the wave-dev vote can be found at:
>> https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-wave-dev/201306.mbox/%3CCABRGrVfPOwN3E8N-uScruYbxdezpfZzAJHMp8dN%2BUfpF6s%2BDGw%40mail.gmail.com%3E
>
> I find this slightly confusing as I expected at least 3 PPMC votes, but
> I guess Wave has opted for the committer == PPMC model?
>
>> Wave 0.4 RC3 artefacts are available at:
>> https://people.apache.org/~al/wave_rc/0.4-rc3/
>> Note: The checksums are SHA-512's
>
> A couple of things:
>
> - Preferably, you'd only include *one* set of artifacts to vote on.
> Am I voting on the zip, the bz2?

If the source is to be release in multiple archive formats, then they
must all be voted on.
Only source that has passed the vote may be released.

> I'm uncomfortable voting without checking
> out all the source releases as I have no way of knowing that the zip ==
> the bz2 release without inspecting both.

That is part of the release checking process, tedious though it is.

There is a Perl script that can be used to compare directory structures:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/private/committers/tools/releases/compare_dirs.pl

> - Preferably, there'd be no binary release in the artifacts you're
> asking to have voted on. Convenience binaries are fine, but they're not
> an official release, so it'd be better not to include them with the
> files we're meant to be voting on.

I disagree here - if a project releases binaries, it's important that
these are reviewed to check that the contents look OK.
For example, LICENSE and NOTICE files appropriate to the contents,
DISCLAIMER file for Incubator releases etc.

> - I have to -1 this as there are several binary (.jar) files included in
> the release that don't belong in a source release. (under
> third_party/codegen/*)

I agree here.