On 28 August 2013 23:04, Cory Johns <john...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This is a call for a vote on Apache Allura 1.0.0 incubating. This is our
> first release.
>
> A vote was held on developer mailing list and it passed with 9 +1's, and 0
> -1's or +0's (vote thread [1], discussion thread [2] which some of the
> votes were cast on, due to some confusion, and result thread [3]), and now
> requires  a vote on general@incubator.apache.org.
>
> Source tar ball and signature are available at:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/allura/

The NOTICE file has leading spaces on every line; these should be
removed for a future release.

The parent directory in the archive is called "allura"; generally
projects include the version information, e.g.
"allura-1.0.0-incubating".
That makes it easier to distinguish unpacked archives. Not a release blocker.

There are several 3rd party source items mentioned in the top level NOTICE fie.
However I could not find any corresponding LICENSE files.
Every file needs to be covered by a LICENSE file; not all licenses
require a mention in the NOTICE file, so there is a mismatch here.

I now see that there are multiple copies of the NOTICE and LICENSE
files with differing content.
This is very confusing for the end user (and the reviewer!)

There should be a single NOTICE and LICENSE file in the parent
directory (allura/) which covers all the contents (and nothing else).

I think that is a release blocker.

In fact it looks like the file allura/Allura/LICENSE is intended to be
the file for the entire source release.
It should be in the parent directory.

Also, it looks to me as though some of the NOTICE content is not
necessary; it's vital that only required content is included.
See for example:
http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#mod-notice

I suspect most if not all of the attrributions in the NOTICE file are
not required, and therefore must be removed.

There seem to be some files without the appropriate license header, for example:

allura/AlluraTest/jslint/Makefile
allura/Allura/allura/controllers/controller.template
allura/Allura/allura/public/nf/css/blueprint/src/forms.css
allura/Allura/allura/public/nf/css/blueprint/src/grid.css
allura/Allura/allura/public/nf/css/blueprint/src/ie.css
allura/Allura/allura/public/nf/css/blueprint/src/print.css
allura/Allura/allura/public/nf/css/blueprint/src/reset.css
allura/Allura/allura/public/nf/css/blueprint/src/typography.css

There are other source files without any apparent license header.