Hi Jacob,

On 10 Oct 2013, at 23:50, Jacob Beard wrote:
I'm the author of an open source project which project grew out of an
ASF-mentored Google Summer of Code project three years ago. This project has been in constant development ever since, and has grown into a mature
code-base, used in production in several places. I am interested in
contributing this project back to ASF, and it seems like the way to do that
is by submitting it as an incubator project.

cool!

I have a question regarding licensing. I developed part of this project during my current employment, and my employer gave me permission to publish
my work under an Apache 2 license on Github. I believe they will be
supportive of my request to submit the project to ASF. However, I will be changing my employment soon (they are aware of this), and so I would like
to resolve all the IP issues with them now, while I am still at the
company. I would therefore like to verify that, in order to contribute the
project to ASF, they will be required to sign a Corporate CLA, and a
Software Grant Agreement.

yes, the company will need to sign a software grant and imho should sign a corporate CLA.

I would also like to check if there is any issue with having them sign
these documents early in the process, before I submit the Incubator
proposal?

It definitely makes sense and I am not aware of an issues. In your situation I would do the same.
There is of course a chance the incubator pmc rejects your proposal.

Is there anything else I should be aware of at this stage?

Please note, most project which are accepted have already a community. It reads as your project would have one. If you know a few people here I would also recommend you to "recruit" a Champion even before you submit the proposal. I would think your GSOC mentors might be able to help you.
A Champion is very good to have with the first steps.

You should wait a little bit if somebody else has another thing to add to my comments.

Cheers
Christian

Thanks for your attention, and I look forward to receiving your comments.

Jacob Beard

---
http://www.grobmeier.de
@grobmeier