+1 for Phoenix as well.

SQL access for HBase is a repeated thread in the community and while we
probably aren't at the point where there is a single answer for this - and
may never be - it would be nice to have a few "preferred options", so to
speak, with robust communities around them.  Also, per Andy's point about
SQL not being a non-goal of HBase proper, I agree, hence another project
makes sense.

I see both good capabilities and a growing community around Phoenix.

Doug Meil