> Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2013 00:53:13 +0000
> Subject: Re: [VOTE] helix-0.6.2-incubating
> From: seb...@gmail.com
> To: general@incubator.apache.org
>
> On 23 November 2013 23:47, Kanak Biscuitwala <kana...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Oh, interesting. I believe it generates this automatically with the
>> license-maven-plugin in the build/package stage. In that case, is this an
>> acceptable solution, or is an explicit NOTICE file still required?
>
> Every ASF distribution must have LICENSE and NOTICE files (and
> DISCLAIMER for podlings)
> This includes releases and SCM.

Given this requirement, which of the following is the correct course of action?

1. Update master with a NOTICE file which is a copy of the generated NOTICE
file (it looks correct) and take no further action with the releases since the
released packages contain NOTICE files.
2. Update master and both tags with NOTICE files. Take no further action since
the distributed packages have 1:1 correspondence with all files in source
control.
3. Update master and both tags with NOTICE files, skip the vote, and just
update the already-pushed packages.
4. Update master and both tags with NOTICE files, go through the entire voting
process again, re-release.

Really what I want to get out of all this is what is required to bring current
and future Helix releases to full compliance with ASF standards.

> The NOTICE file must not contain any unnecessary content - in
> particular it must only contain references to bits that are actually
> included in the distribution. I'm not sure whether the plugin handles
> this properly yet (early versions were not good in this regard).

It seems to do it correctly. The top level project is just the website for this
project, which has no dependencies other than ASF projects, and this is
reflected in the generated NOTICE file. Or does the top level NOTICE file need
to be the union of all of its subprojects' NOTICE files?