Sebb,

Thanks for your careful review. I'd like your continued insight into two specific issues that you have raised.

WRT the NOTICE files in root vs gatway-release/home, this is actually an issue that I struggled with when laying things out initially. We certainly don't include the source for 3rd party products anywhere. This covers why they are not mentioned in NOTICE at the top level of the source repo/archive. The NOTICE file in gatway-release/home ends up in the root of our binary distributions. This binary distribution does contain the JARs for those 3rd party products. Therefore I thought I was following the rules by having these two NOTICE files be different and represent the actual content of the respective archives.

For hadoop-examples.jar I understand your reaction. I would like to try and justify the inclusion for this specific use case however. This JAR is included for "ease of use", especially for first time users. Basically to use Knox with Hadoop you need to have an existing Hadoop "application". Our user's guide walks through an example of uploading and running this sample Hadoop application. (It is not used at compile time at all). If we don't check this into SCM and build it as part of Knox, that would create a tight coupling between Knox and a specific Hadoop version only used to create this post-install sample JAR file. I think about this similar to including a sample JPEG in a image processor distribution. There you wouldn't expect the JPEG to be build from source. All that being said, we certainly shouldn't have two copies, although fixing that will be an interesting maven challenge.

Thanks again for your continued feedback!

Kevin.