On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 3:23 PM, John D. Ament <john.d.am...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I just wanted to clarify with you.  What you're saying is that a
> podling must have three PPMC votes.  Once that is done, they must then
> send the release to the incubator to vote.  Once 3 IPMC's approve it,
> it's ready to go, right?

Here's the official answer, from the Incubator's policy page:

    http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Releases

    Therefore, should a Podling decide it wishes to perform a release, the
    Podling SHALL hold a vote on the Podling's public -dev list. At least
    three +1 votes are required (see the Apache Voting Process page). If the
    majority of all votes is positive, then the Podling SHALL send a summary
    of that vote to the Incubator's general list and formally request the
    Incubator PMC approve such a release. Three +1 Incubator PMC votes are
    required.

Our release management guide, as is often the case, duplicates information
better described elsewhere, adding inaccuracies and misleading rephrasings.

http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#glossary-release-manager

Marvin Humphrey