On Sat, Dec 14, 2013 at 3:43 PM, Patrick Wendell <pwend...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> However they both contain binaries, which is not good.
>> Third party jars should *not* be included in SCM nor in source releases.
>
> These are not binary artifacts containing our project's code. They are
> our build tool and immediate dependencies that are not published in
> maven. I've looked around to find TL projects that also use sbt and
> they also include the sbt jar in the source release. For instance
> Apache Kafka does the same thing:
>
> https://kafka.apache.org/downloads.html

I appreciate your doing the research, and I understand why you might think
following Kafka's example is a reasonable approach.  However, that binary is a
problem for Kafka.  If Kafka's releases were like that when they graduated,
it's a failure of the Incubator as well.

Please read these messages from ASF Board member Roy Fielding:

    http://s.apache.org/roy-binary-deps-0
    http://s.apache.org/roy-binary-deps-1
    http://s.apache.org/roy-binary-deps-2
    http://s.apache.org/roy-binary-deps-3

This has to be fixed.  If some TLP PMCs have not been made aware that binary
dependencies may not be bundled in source releases, the Incubator must not
compound the problem by failing to educate current podlings.

Marvin Humphrey