Thanks everyone for the input.  To summarize, it appears that the consensus
argument is:

- Jar files are not prohibited by policy in project repositories (svn),
although they may not make a lot of sense.
- Source distributions must not distribute executable code in binary form.
i.e. Don’t ship dependency jars in the source archive.  However it may be
acceptable to include things like jar files that are processed during testing
(sample archives, for instance).
- The project repositories are not generally considered “distributions”, but we
need to be a little careful to avoid users’ confusion on this point.

And just to be clear, I take this as valuable input from from the experts at
Incubator, not a ruling.  Obviously, the River PMC makes decisions for River,
and Incubator bears no responsibility for anything we might get wrong.

Cheers,

Greg Trasuk
PMC Chair, Apache River.