I'm starting to put together the incubation proposal for Hoya: a tool to
dynamically deploy applications such as HBase or Accumulo on YARN

https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/HoyaProposal

It does already work to the extent that it can bring up either application,
run different clusters of different versions, and remember where containers
were allocated so that on application restart it can ask for them back.
That increases data locality and makes a big difference with HBase.

It also needs a lot more work -YARN-896 is adding YARN features that help,
but there's lots of fun to be had in Hoya including
 -leading edge work in failure handling, modelling cluster unreliability
and reacting to it. Can we move beyond simple blacklisting to
"greylisting", accepting unreliable boxes if we have no altenatives

Then there's adding more providers, to support different application
installations -I'm starting to write a functional test framework which need
provider-specific workload generations

Other features: AM should have a web ui that redirects to the live
endpoints to all the app-specific UIs (e.g. HBase Master GUI), as well as
displaying cluster state itself, for people and for management tools....

To summarise: lots of fun to be had

-steve

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE