On Mar 19, 2014, at 10:48 AM, sebb wrote:

> On 19 March 2014 15:05, Mark Struberg <strub...@yahoo.de> wrote:
>> what has been with the rule that an ipmc must forward the VOTE to the
>> incubator pmc when it gets started, and those members can also cast a
>> binding -1 ?
>
> IPMC votes are the only ones that are binding.
> However, even a binding -1 vote is not a veto - it is just a negative vote.
>
> But IMO it would be foolish for an RM to ignore a -1 vote.
>
> In PMCs that have been established some time, IME the expectation is
> that the RM will cancel the vote if the -1 appears to be justified.
> This means that PMC members who have already voted probably won't
> revote as a -1 even if they agree with the -1 (perhaps they overlooked
> that issue - not everyone can check every aspect of a release).
>
> If there is some doubt as to whether the -1 should really block the
> release, IMO the RM should follow up to explain why they think it is
> not a blocker.
>
> So either way, the -1 is resolved before the release proceeds.

Those projects are being foolish.  If something bad is found that
others also think is bad, they should change their vote to -1.
Relying on the RM to make a decision like that just means they
don't care and a good RM will go ahead and release based on the
majority vote.

There are also plenty of valid reasons for a -1 on a release that
will occur frequently.  The most common one is "I have just one more
change I want to get in ...".  The less common one is "I'll keep voting
-1 on the release until you drop your veto on my favorite change."

There are no vetos on releases.  That is not an accident.
Releases are majority decisions, as in a majority of folks on the
PMC think that moving forward with X is better than waiting for Y.
That's what the PMC has been empowered by the Board to decide.

....Roy